System Engineer III – Internal Tools
MediaMath helps the world's top brands deliver personalized digital advertising across all connected touchpoints. Over 9,500 marketers in 42 countries use our demand-side platform every day to launch, analyze, and optimize their digital advertising campaigns across display, native, mobile, video, audio, digital out of home, and advanced TV formats.
MediaMath initiated an industry-wide effort to create a 100% accountable, addressable and aligned supply chain through SOURCE ecosystem. SOURCE by MediaMath is a technical and commercial framework for agencies, brands, tech companies, and content owners designed to provide long-term sustainable solutions for a clean digital media supply chain with brand-safe, viewable inventory. MediaMath has offices in 15 cities worldwide and is headquartered in New York City.
As a senior member of the Operations team, the Tooling SME will be responsible for the strategy, implementation and management of the monitoring and deployment toolsets vital to the daily operations of MediaMath’s engineering organization. This is a tech-lead role, which will require overseeing other systems engineers in the support of these tools, and acting as an internal point of contact for maintenance events, rollouts, and incidents. This engineer will also consult directly with development groups, gathering requirements and supporting the implementation of these toolsets for business critical services.
US Proposed Salary Range: $120,000-$150,000 (Annual)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As part of Operations staff, take an active role in the overhaul of MediaMath’s tooling strategy, working with stakeholders across the organization to establish pain points, requirements and priorities for unifying and standardizing this toolset.
- Day to day administration & management of internal developer tools, including deployment tools (e.g. CircleCi, Chef, Artifactory, Jenkins, Rundeck, Github) and monitoring tools (e.g. Prometheus, statsd/carbond, Sumologic, catchpoint, PRTG, Grafana, Pagerduty)
- Act as service owner for self-hosted tools, including implementing appropriate monitoring, providing internal communications, capacity planning, and overseeing release and incident management.
- Build PoC’s for the testing of new tools and take the lead on any subsequent production rollouts and migrations.
- Provide support to internal development community around implementation & best practices for Ops managed toolsets, including documentation, templates and training sessions.
- Consult and collaborate within other Operations working groups to support deployment and monitoring demands in-team.
- Act as daily point of contact for vendor communications for related tooling.
- Perform usage analytics and provide recommendations to management to inform contract negotiations.
- Work with operational leadership to build out internal processes supporting Ops-managed toolsets, including – growth & onboarding, resource tracking & capacity management, maintenance events, and incident mitigation.
- Implement SSO solutions where possible for internal tools.
- Support annual audit process with recertification and remediation as required.
- Oversee up to 2 other engineers in the day-to-day support of Ops-managed internal tools.
- Participate in on-call rotation as part of the larger operational team.
Role specific experience:
- Experience working with at least 1 config management toolset at scale (Chef ideal)
- Experience working with common deployment toolsets (CircleCi, Jenkins, Artifactory)
- Experience providing service-level support for a monitoring stack (Prometheus, statsd/carbond)
- Experience collecting and analyzing metrics for service level monitoring using Prometheus and Grafana
- Experience supporting self-hosted services, including build, deployment, monitoring and ongoing service maintenance (Prometheus or statsd stacks ideal)
- Experience working with internal stakeholders to identify needs, and engineer solutions.
- Experience interacting with vendor account and support teams.
- Experience overseeing junior engineers for day-to-day work.
General ops experience:
- Proficiency with Linux system administration (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS)
- Proficiency with basic AWS administration (IAM, EC2, Networking, cost analysis)
- Proficiency with scripting & basic coding (python, ruby, golang)
- Understanding of networking fundamentals, including application layer protocols (HTTP, SSH, SSL), load balancing solutions (lvs, nginx), and DNS
- Experience supporting low-latency, globally distributed services at scale.
- Experience working with private datacenter infrastructure (“on-prem” servers)
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes-based deployments
Skills & Approach:
- Practical approach to real world problems, with “hands-on” approach to solutions.
- Ability to think strategically, understand business context, and make collaborative decisions
- Willing to gather information & recommend courses of action clearly and confidently, with a high degree of comfort presenting ideas to departmental & organizational leadership.
- Fosters open communication, speaks with impact, listens to others, and writes effectively
- Comfortable partnering with internal clients in development teams to address issues, consult on solutions and plan for future needs.
- Ability to communicate sometimes complex ideas to to non-technical stakeholders, including product and support teams.
- Desire to mentor and provide guidance to junior engineers, both technically and professionally.
- Willingness to adhere to, streamline and help improve team processes for work tracking, knowledge sharing, incident response, and cross-org communication.
Why We Work at MediaMath
We are restless innovators, smart, passionate and kind. At the heart of our culture are six values that provide a framework for how we approach our work and the world: Teams Win, Scale + Innovation, Obsess Over Learning & Growth, Align then Execute, Do Good Better and Embrace the Journey. These values inform how we energize one another and engage with our clients. They get us amped to come to work.
Founded in 2007 as a pioneer in "programmatic" advertising, MediaMath is recognized as a Leader in the Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Ad Tech and has won Best Account Support by a Technology Company for two years in a row in the AdExchanger Awards.
MediaMath is committed to equal employment opportunity. It is a fundamental principle at MediaMath not to discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, gender identity/transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, and other protected characteristic as established by law.
Talent Advisor, Remote, Southern California – Roseville, CA
Technology & Global Services Communications & Training Consultant (Remote) – Franklin Lakes, NJ
Technology Operations Analyst – Remote: – New York, NY
Telephony Project Manager – Remote
Tier 1 Customer Support – Tickets, Chats, Phones – Food Delivery (2697) – Remote