Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote)
Staff Software Engineer Devops / Backend - REMOTE
This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
The CMS business unit covers our work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, includingHealthCare.gov,Medicare.gov, and theBlue Button API. Our team supports CMS in building and improving online public experiences and APIs that are reliable, accessible, and user-centered. We are deeply embedded within CMS, partnering agency-wide to include the Office of Communications, Office of Enterprise Data and Analytics, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. Our work includes helping millions of people enroll in healthcare and access Medicare and Medicaid benefits, as well as helping CMS improve the quality of Medicare and Medicaid services for beneficiaries and clinicians.
Our ideal Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End Software Engineer knows how to build large-scale production systems in modern agile environments. They write well-structured, tested, and secure code with little feedback or guidance. They’ve designed and implemented reliable and maintainable APIs and built services that integrate with external dependencies. They can articulate how the thing they've built fits into a larger ecosystem. They’re not afraid of large, complex problems. They take an active role in planning and delivery efforts, drawing on their experience to suggest better approaches or alternatives.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
Some Basic Requirements
- Years of Experience: 5 years
- Degree Requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Resource Management, Business Administration, Business Management,, Industrial Engineering, or a related field
- Acceptable Substitution for Degree: Certifications in relevant technology plus 3-5 years of relevant experience, or 5-7 years of relevant experience may be substituted for education
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
What You'll Do
- Shipping software that impacts the lives of millions of people
- Deploying cloud infrastructure within AWS to support APIs running on ECS/Fargate along with associated databases and ETL pipelines.
- Collaborating across teams to consolidate and simplify DevOps tools and services,
- Developing Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) processes to help deliver software of higher quality at greater speed
- Building libraries, modules, and packages for other infrastructure engineers to integrate with their projects
- Working closely with our government partners and app teams to ensure that we are shipping software that meets security, SLA, and performance requirements
- Solving problems in ways that drive towards simplicity of architecture and operations
What You'll Bring
- Five or more years of experience in software design and development, architecture, operations
- Five years of experience with tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- Five years of experience building optimized containers
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular ECS/Fargate, RDS, CloudWatch, IAM, EC2, and S3
- Three years of experience with a programming language such as Java
- Experience working with Kafka and Docker
- Experience with incident response, resolving availability and performance issues.
- A focus on securityand privacy, with experience protecting sensitive personal information.
- Experience setting up CI/CD pipelines
- Experience collaborating with other teams, adopting their goals as your own
- Familiarity with static analysis tools and other CI tools used for securityand compliance
- Solid spelling, grammar, and communication skills
- Understanding of basic networking fundamentals: TCP/IP, UDP, routing, load balancing, SSH
- Experience with one or more different agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or SAFe
- Learn more about engineering at Ad Hoc.
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves, and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide more junior engineers. They’re human-centered.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Use what you need PTO policy
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $113,900 – $149,040 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote) – Atlanta, GA
Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote) – Madison, WI
Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote) – Miami, FL
Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote) – Brooklyn, NY
Staff Software Engineer Devops/Back End, CMS-MPSM (remote) – Menlo Park, CA