Shift Engineer – Bradford
Welcome to Hovis. We are the proud guardians of over 130 years of baking experience that make up our iconic and much-loved brand. We produce bread and bakery products created with Hovis goodness at the heart of each. We deliver around 1.3million loaves, every day of the week throughout the UK and Ireland, where we also make Mothers Pride and Ormo products.
We are 2,800 people working within 8 bakeries, 1 flour mill, and 2 regional distribution centres across the UK. Our success is a result of the hard work of our people; they are experts in their field whether it’s baking, manufacturing, logistics, engineering, or the many departments within the central functions team based in our head office in High Wycombe. We are a values-led business and expect our colleagues to live, breathe, and embed Quality, Accountability, and Trust into their ways of working.
A great opportunity has arisen at Hovis for a Shift Engineer to join our team and to be the driving force behind the best quality brand in bakery. You will have an opportunity to be responsible for generating improvements across our bakery sites and working collaboratively with the rest of the Engineering team and wider site.
● Carry out planned routine and reactive maintenance repair work on all plants and equipment at the bakery site.
● Complete written reports on maintenance work carried out and identify future work.
● Plan and implement improvement ideas to increase the throughput and efficiency of the operating plants.
● To ensure the best possible resolution is achieved to those issues experienced, to meet the reliability requirements of the Bakery production schedules.
● To be part of a team providing essential maintenance operations, whilst maintaining Health & Safety and Food Safety Standards, abiding by GMP and food handling hygiene standards to provide maximum manufacturing efficiency at the
Ideal experiences / Qualifications / capabilities:
● 2 years Proven Multi-skilled engineering experience
● Experience on PLC process equipment & plant
● Have reasonable fitness
● GCSE Grade C or above in English & Maths or equivalent.
● Have completed a Recognised Engineering Apprenticeship
● ONC / NVQ III / C&G 2&3 certificates
● 18th Edition IEE wiring regulation pass
● Previous Engineering experience within a food manufacturing business
● PLC programming experience.
● BTEC diploma in a relevant subject
● Strong engineering competence on Bakery production plant and auxiliary equipment
● Experience with Permit to Work systems
● Experience with COSHH regulations
● Experience of continuous improvement
● Pest Control Awareness
● Basic Food Hygiene
● Able to self-manage and prioritise own workload to satisfy commitments and meet agreed deadlines.
Location: Based in Bradford
Type of role: Full Time, Permanent
Shift pattern: 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off, 2 days/2nights
Reporting to: Engineering FLM
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Hovis Limited is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the Community.
Why work for us and our benefits:
At Hovis, we understand the importance of looking after our colleagues, so we provide a variety of benefits in addition to their salaries. The benefits we provide at Hovis are as varied as the people who receive them but they are offered with the intention of creating value to them personally over and above their salaries
There is a range of colleague benefits available, which individuals can select based on their needs.
Our benefits scheme is called Hovis Choice, which offers a variety of savings and cashback offers on day to day living and much more including eyecare vouchers, and a healthcare scheme to suit everyone. It also includes our Cycle to Work scheme where you can obtain a brand new bike at a significant saving
We offer competitive annual leave entitlement and flexibility where possible in order to create a healthy work-life balance
We celebrate loyalty with our generous long service and colleague recognition schemes
We offer three levels of pensions
Hovis values diversity and is committed to promoting equal opportunities in the workplace. Every job applicant, employee or worker will be treated fairly and equally with dignity and respect regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, social class, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religious belief, union membership, political opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.