Senior Director, California Policy
Common Sense Media
Common Sense (commonsense.org) is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The Senior Director for California Policy is responsible for developing and executing Common Sense's California policy and advocacy priorities and representing Common Sense's overall mission and values in Sacramento and across the state. The role includes developing and moving legislation, working with the executive branch and state agencies, and managing advocacy partnerships.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time, exempt
SALARY RANGE: $140,000 – $166,250REPORTS TO: Chief Advocacy Officer
LOCATION: Sacramento, California
- Lead Common Sense's California policy and advocacy team by setting direction for, managing, and ensuring timely, effective, and impactful implementation of our priorities.
- Represent Common Sense before the state's legislature and executive branch, with partnerships, in the news media, and in other public-facing events.
- Develop and manage relationships with elected officials and key staff in all branches of California government.
- Oversee and guide the work of other Common Sense California advocacy staff.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with California lobbying regulations.
- Align the California agenda with Common Sense's overall priorities.
- Communicate about Common Sense's California progress in written and oral forums.
- Support overall advocacy team priorities and other Common Sense priorities as needed.
- Minimum 10 years' experience in policy development, advocacy, and/or implementation in California.
- Strong relationships with California's political leadership, key staff, and other elected officials.
- Understanding of California's governmental structures, legislative process, and budget process.
- Knowledge of and interest in tech policy and the tech sector.
- Appreciation of Common Sense's mission and values.
- Strong negotiation and persuasive communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Passion for solving problems impacting children, including low-income children from across the state.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Work with passionate professionals.
- Comprehensive health and wellness benefits: medical, dental, vision, and fitness.
- Matching 401(k).
- Work-life balance.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Senior Director, Cloud Product Marketing – Remote – Massachusetts
Senior Field Applications Engineer- Digital- Remote – Northeast – Lowell, MA
Senior Financial Analyst – Remote
Senior Global Project Head, Hema-Oncology – Remote
Senior Group Program Manager, Confluence – Remote