Procurement Material Controller/Buyer
James Fisher and Sons plc.
Procurement Material Controller/Buyer
James Fisher Subtech deploys specialist technical marine (offshore and nearshore) support for projects and services supporting construction, civil works, O&M, and decommissioning activities for the renewables, oil & gas, and salvage markets globally.
Responsible for sourcing, managing and keeping track of all hired plant and equipment that is required to support company operations and projects, as well as supporting the day-to-day activities of the purchasing department as required.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Source hired plant and equipment from suppliers to support project requirements, taking into account cost and availability and process requests in a timely manner, whilst maintaining of understanding of priorities and timescales.
- Ensure that purchase orders are correctly raised and kept up to date with project requirements.
- Ensure that all equipment is correctly delivered, while being on time, to budget and to the correct specification, with any problems being reported as needed
- Make sure all equipment is supplied with supporting paperwork and this is passed over to the relevant department(s) as required
- Ensure that all hired equipment is accurately tracked and its status is captured on purchase orders and project documentation
- Make sure that all hired equipment is returned and off hired in a timely manner, along with the correct supporting documentation, with standby rates being negotiated as appropriate
- Ensure pre and post hire photographs are taken and saved on file to record and capture equipment condition
- Work with direct reports to resolve any disputes or problems
- Support the purchasing department with other day-to-day activities as may be required
- Negotiate best possible prices with suppliers
- Obtain quotes to support bids and tenders for new work and projects
- Manage and schedule company demands, while maintaining an understanding of customer requirements, priorities and equipment availability
- Build and manage relationships with suppliers and internal customers
- Identify new suppliers that may be able to serve the needs of the business
- Communicate any purchasing issues to Management and internal customers as appropriate
- Generate procurement based reports to support other areas of the business as may be required
Assist the Accounts Department in making sure that invoices can be correctly matched and processed, helping to resolve any queries as they arise and also in raising outbound invoices to our customers.
Have a flexible approach to creative problem solving and process improvement, learning from experience and supporting the implementation and communication of new workflows when appropriate.
Ensure that companywide policies and procedures are adhered to wherever and whenever appropriate
Qualifications & Experience:
- GCSE Maths and English to Grade C or above desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of using Sage
- Strong IT skills, particularly in Microsoft Word and Excel applications
Ideally you will have exposure/experience of material control protocols with a good general understanding and knowledge of offshore specific hired plant and equipment.
You will need strong time management and organisational skills along with strong verbal and written communication skills.
You will be self-motivated, able to work under own initiative, thrive in a challenging environment, and be approachable with a flexible attitude.
You will need a calm approach and able to work under pressure, therefore you will need to be confident, positive and enthusiastic.
An understanding of logistics and dangerous goods would de a distinct advantage, therefore experience of working in a similar role would be advantageous.
Experience of working in a position that has involved scheduling and planning would be directly relevant.
Remain self-motivated and flexible within the work environment and be willing to work in other areas of the business as requested by your Manager.
Have a flexible attitude to attendance, both in line with the requirements of the role, and any specific requirements of the Management
This is a genuine career opportunity to join an industry leader on a permanent basis.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, on occasion applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
James Fisher and Sons are committed to taking positive action on diversity and strongly encourage applications for candidates from all backgrounds. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and recognise that our success depends on our talented and diverse workforce.
We strive to ensure that we enable employees with disabilities to reach their potential (including anyone who becomes disabled whilst employed with James Fisher), ensuring that their training, career development and promotion needs are met by providing reasonable adjustments, and they're treated fairly. For more information Click here