Mechanical Design Engineer
James Fisher and Sons plc.
Malton, North Yorkshire
Mechanical Design Engineer
Malton (Hybrid Working Considered)
Who we are
James Fisher Nuclear (JFN) specialise in the design and manufacture of nuclear decommissioning technologies, including remote handling systems and equipment designed for segmentation of irradiated materials.
About the role
JFN is looking to recruit a Mechanical Design Engineer to work on a permanent basis from our site in Malton. This role has a focus on projects and you will be involved in all stages of the design lifecycle.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Carry out Design tasks to meet the time, cost and quality requirements of JFD projects including; design briefs and hand sketches, 3D scheme models, scheme stress and functional calculations, risk and compliance assessments and scheme and detail design reviews.
- Production of Manufacturing documentation including; 2D part, fabrication and assembly drawings, factory acceptance tests, method statements, operation, maintenance and installation manuals.
- Take part in client meetings, testing activities, commissioning activities and checking an approving of deliverable produced by other team members.
- Interact with project management staff and be involved in tendering tasks such as production of concept designs and estimating durations for design of tendered items
- Ensure quality compliance in design procedures and approval of suppliers and Sub-Contractors
What do you need?
We’re looking for individuals with a background in Mechanical Engineering and who have been responsible or contributed to a variety of diverse projects ranging in both size and complexity. You should ideally be educated to degree level, but we also welcome applications if you have a HND or Higher Apprenticeship in a related discipline. You must have good commercial awareness, be able to read, understand and shape new procedures and be an experienced user of relevant design tools, techniques and methods.
You should also ideally have an appreciation of manufacturing, assembly and test techniques and a good level of commercial awareness. You must be able to manage your workload and self-manage to deliver tasks.
Working for us
James Fisher & Sons are committed to taking positive action on diversity and we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
JFD is proud to be part of James Fisher and Sons plc, who has partnered with the Career Transition Partnership, the official provider of Armed Forces resettlement for over 20 years.