Lead Scientist – R&D
United Kingdom, Slough
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an opportunity for an experienced cell biologist with extensive knowledge of mammalian cell cycle, metabolism, signaling pathways, and CHO cell biology to join our team of experts in Cell Culture Media Development as a Senior or Lead Scientist. This is a fast-growing team that is purely focused on innovation and a unique opportunity to help cell culture media development projects in multidisciplinary and dynamic team.
- Working closely with the Group Lead; plans and prioritizes tasks and assignments in a work program
- Understand and manipulate GS-CHO metabolism in vitro to develop cell culture media for producing biologically active proteins, monoclonal antibodies and biosimilars
- Executes experimental plans, analyse experimental data, writes technical reports
- Is responsible for ensuring that studies are scientifically sound and in line with current regulatory guidance and expectations
- Contribute scientific expertise and propose new ideas and product concepts targeting the research market, drawn from scientific literature and personal experience
- Provide technical support to junior team members
- Ensures GLP and Health & Safety regulations are followed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD with 1-2 years of postdoctoral experience/1-2 years of industrial experience
- Knowledge of CHO cell biology, cell cycle regulation, CHO cell metabolism is highly desirable
- In-depth knowledge of basic cell biology techniques, i.e., mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry, Western blotting, enzymatic assays, is highly desirable
- Experience with cell-based analytical characterisation is desirable, such as proteomics, metabolomics, etc, would be advantageous
- Good understanding of upstream processes, including fed-batch and perfusion cultures as well as AMBR15/AMBR250 knowledge would be highly advantageous
- Knowledgeable of the current best practices for developing cell culture media including metabolomics, metabolic flux analysis
- Technological background in mammalian cell line development and cell culture process development
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organizational and written/ oral communication skills are highly desirable
- Previous experience working in cross-matrixed/functional teams and ability to work on complex effectively and collaboratively in a matrixed environment is an asset
- Ability to successfully complete complex projects will be viewed favorably
- Inventiveness, enthusiasm, motivation, and problem solving skills to develop new technical capabilities and solve challenging problems are assets
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.