EC&I Design Engineer
James Fisher and Sons plc.
Malton, North Yorkshire
EC&I Design Engineer
James Fisher Nuclear (JFN) is an established supplier of specialist engineering, manufacturing and technical services for applications within challenging, high integrity environments. From the facility in Malton, Yorkshire JFN manufactures, assembles and tests all equipment and systems supplied either in-house or with support of international supply chain.
The EC&I Design Engineer is a design engineer with responsibility for undertaking or complying with a number of tasks such as: Design, Project Management Interaction, Tendering, Quality Compliance, Health & Safety and Continual Improvement.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Carrying out specific design tasks to meet the time, cost and quality requirements of projects. This may include but not be limited to:
Scheme design generation consisting of Design briefs, Standards Review, User requirements specifications, Software definition, Block cable diagrams.
In addition, detail design generation consisting of software system specifications, system schematics, panel layouts and cable detail functional calculations.
You will also be involved with the production of manufacturing documentation consisting of wiring / single line diagrams, schedules, PLC /software code, Module / integration tests and factory acceptance tests.
Along with the above you will be required to compile Method statements and update operation, maintenance and installation manuals and technical construction files.
You will be expected to take part in client meetings, testing activities, commissioning activities and post project review meetings. In addition, maintain the project’s working folder and lead small teams of Design Engineers, allocating work and providing technical support.
Mentoring more junior team members as required and check the deliverables produced by other team members.
Project Management Interaction:
Interact with project management staff to achieve the best outcome for the projects;
- Assist in the development of a project schedule and Quality Plan
- Work in accordance the project schedule and Quality plan
- Agree remaining work durations
- Highlight (at the earliest opportunity) when a task will not be completed to a previously agreed timescale
- Identify and report change
- Support the Project Manager through attendance of client meetings
- Prompt the need for Early Warning Notices and Compensation Events in accordance with NEC 3.
Tendering Tasks may include but not be limited to production of concept designs, estimating durations for design of tender items and composing technical responses to quotation requests.
Complying with JFN’s quality policies and procedures, with particular emphasis on design procedure, document numbering and control, approval of suppliers and Sub-Contractors and awareness of client quality requirements.
Who we are looking for:
Engineering experience within the nuclear industry or a similar highly regulated industry.
A track record in delivering to time cost and quality and experience in one or more of the following key areas of Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineering Design:
- HV/MV Power Distribution (above 1kV)
- LV Power Distribution (below 1kV)
- Earthing & Lightning Protection
- Building Services (Data, CCTV, Telecom, Fire Alarm, Lighting, etc.)
- Radiological and Environmental Monitoring
- Hardwired Control Panel Systems & MCCs
- CE&I Installation Design
- Programmable Systems
- Process Control and Instrumentation
- Safety Related Control Systems (BS61508)Special purpose equipment / machinery
- Safety System substantiation
- ROVs / Remote handling equipment
Experience developing design and engineering products through the following phases:
- Conceptual Design
- Scheme Design
- Detail Design
- Manufacture Design
- Testing (including prototyping)
- Client acceptance
- Carry out 3D modelling of system layouts in specific software package.
- Produce 2D EC&I diagrams in specific software package.
- Produce 2D EC&I General Arrangements and layouts in specific software package.
- Produce functional hand-calculations
- Produce EC&I calculations using analysis software e.g. Amtech (power distribution) and Relux (lighting)
- Ability to read, understand and work to procedures and standards
- Experience producing Engineering documentation in support of CE marking
- Experience in producing documentation in support of applicable UK Regulations e.g. LOLER, PUWER, CDM etc
- Experience producing Engineering documentation – general
- Experience of a gated design procedure and specifically in supporting design review (Scheme and Detail)
- Experience checking of work done by others
- Appreciation of manufacturing processes relevant to their discipline and specialism.
Experience developing project schedule and quality plans along with experience working in accordance with project schedule and quality plans and identifying project change.
Ability to attend client meeting and cover technical aspects of a project in support of a Project Manager and have NEC 3 awareness
Degree (preferred) / HNC (preferred) / Higher Apprenticeship in a related discipline and IEng (preferred) or working towards professional registration.
The successful applicant will need to live within a commutable distance to Malton, Yorkshire and be able to pass security clearance.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, on occasion applications may close before the deadline so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
James Fisher is proud to be a Disability Confident employer, enabling us to attract and retain a wider pool of talent, as we recognise that our success depends on our talented and diverse workforce.
We strive to ensure that we enable employees with disabilities to reach their potential (including anyone who becomes disabled whilst employed with James Fisher), ensuring that their training, career development and promotion needs are met by providing reasonable adjustments, and they're treated fairly. For more information Click here