Development Research Analyst
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protection. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, Houston, and Washington, DC.
The Research Analyst works within the Prospect Development team within the Development Operations, Research & Evaluation team under the supervision of the Manager of Prospect Research. The analyst supports Major Gifts, Foundations, Planned Giving, Intermediate Giving, Public Support, Donor Relations, and Executive efforts. The Analyst partners with gift officers and other staff to identify, cultivate, and track appropriate prospects and donors.
The Analyst works directly with the Director of Prospect Development, Manager of Prospect Development, Manager of Prospect Research, and a team of Research Analysts to manage the department’s strategic research projects. The Analyst oversees all research efforts for a portfolio of gift officers spanning several regional areas of the United States. This role will work with gift officers managing portfolios of foundations as well as individual donors and prospects. The Analyst acquires and manages confidential information through various research tools and resources about Earthjustice donors and prospective donors with the goal of building lasting relationships that benefit the donor and Earthjustice through philanthropy. The Analyst prepares confidential strategic background information and donor briefings on major and prospective donors to Earthjustice. The Analyst collaborates with gift officers to devise strategies for identifying and engaging new and existing prospects; provides clear and succinct presentation of research information to facilitate the staff's ability to form long and productive donor relationships; analyzes complex financial and employment information to establish or reevaluate gift capacity ratings for major prospects and donors; independently manages research projects to identify and evaluate potential donors; reviews, evaluates, and assists in reprioritizing prospect portfolios to identify those with the greatest potential to support the organization; reviews peer organizations, and business and regional publications to identify new prospects; maintains prospect rating systems; and, assists with special projects as needed.
This role can be based in our San Francisco office, or remotely from the United States.
- Provide timely prospect identification and detailed research and analysis of prospects specific to fundraising objectives (strategy meetings, donor visits, events, solicitations, etc.), with an emphasis on foundation prospects.
- Provide clear and professionally written materials on donors and prospects for the organization.
- Review and analyze large volumes of information from news resources; financial and philanthropic reports; reference materials (both printed and electronic); external screening services; and organization files.
- Research and synthesize biographic and financial information on individuals and foundations to create research profiles that pertain to the organization's fundraising objectives.
- Work on internal and external routine and special proactive prospecting projects.
- Provide proactive, reactive, and ongoing identification of individuals with capacity, interest and inclination to make major gifts to the organization.
- Work in partnership with the Foundations team on various strategic and research projects.
- Participate in development strategy meetings, providing prospect information and insights on strategy from the prospect development perspective.
- Collaborate with development staff to provide information important to the development of qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of managed donors.
- Serve as a resource on donor and prospect research, as well as research tools and methods for entire development department and executive staff.
- Perform administrative tasks associated with prospect development.
Database and Research Tools
- Perform complex analyses and organize information to identify philanthropic patterns, affinity, and relationships among individuals and foundations.
- Develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining and sophisticated constituent database queries.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Prospect Research to continually revise research products for internal clients and recording methods for tracking this research.
- Collaborate with Manager of Prospect Development to maintain foundation prospecting and prospect management tools. Review the accuracy of electronic records and other organization information on prospects and donors and facilitate changes and additions as needed.
- Stay abreast of fundraising trends and issues, maintaining knowledge of available training and educational opportunities to develop necessary skills. Identify and evaluate new paid and free research resources and make recommendations as to their usefulness to the organization’s development research needs.
- Maintain research records in online files and database.
- Collaborate on donor screenings and predictive modeling projects and develop strategic direction on the use of analytic data in the identification of prospective donors and assist gift officers and Prospect Management in the utilization of this research.
- Perform other duties and staff special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a research analyst role or in fundraising role, preferably in prospect development.
- Demonstrated analytical skills related to complex donor research.
- Demonstrated ability to develop proactive prospect research methodologies in support of Development strategic efforts.
- Experience with Blackbaud eCRM, the Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database.
- Experience using ResearchPoint or similar fundraising research and analysis tools.
- Experience with Relationship Science (RelSci) or other relationship analysis tools.
- Experience with moves management and prospect research’s role in this process.
- Knowledge of techniques and methodologies of donor research using traditional print and online sources with particular focus on the specific requirements of donor/prospect research.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Outstanding ability to think strategically, analytically, and creatively.
- Ability to work successfully in teams and under own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to meet deadlines efficiently.
- Strong customer service orientation and follow-through.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Ability to adapt to change.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $74,700 – $83,000
Salary range in remote locations varies: $63,500 - $83,000
Interested applicants should submit the following via Jobvite by January 19th, 2023:
- Cover letter
Please reach out you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Digital Banking Mobile Developer (remote or hybrid) – Miami, FL
Digital Marketing Analytics Manager – Remote
Digital Marketing Specialist – Work From Home – Island County, WA
Digital Product Owner, Wedbush Digital – Remote
Director of Clinical Programs, Health Systems | QURE Healthcare | 100% Remote – California