Our client is a fully integrated engineering feasibility, design, construction and commissioning business, has a roll over framework contract to support Welsh Water's Capital Delivery Programme. The programme will improve clean and wastewater services across the Welsh water region, as well as improving the environment. This appointment gives us direct allocation to a multimillion-pound programme of water and wastewater non-infrastructure and infrastructure projects.
As a Design Lead you will be working in a creative and challenging environment, managing a wide range of projects across our water industry frameworks. Responsible for the successful delivery of projects and programmes of work, you will co-ordinate multi-disciplinary project teams from project inception through to completion of construction.
As a member of our clients team you will represent the design element of a delivery triangle comprising a Contract Manager from the operational team, and a Quantity Surveyor from the commercial team.
You will support your project delivery teams in the development of constructable project solutions, engaging at all stages with their fully integrated construction delivery teams, providing solutions that are efficient, practical, safe to build and safe to operate. You will have a strong technical background and excellent organisational skills to enable effective support to your teams, along with strong client-facing capabilities.
Their flexible working environment will allow you to work from home, office and on site to suit your needs and the needs of your projects, and we will provide you with the support you require to develop personally and professionally in a dynamic design-and-construct environment.
- Develop and lead your design team to successfully deliver projects and create a positive environment where staff are engaged and able to reach their potential.
- Provide clear and visible leadership to your project design team, including those working remotely from yourself.
- Undertake line management for multiple staff, including being responsible for their welfare and development.
- Lead the delivery of multi-disciplinary design for either water, or wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects.
- Have strong technical skills to lead the development of affordable and low carbon solutions, including managing risk.
- Deliver detailed design to meet the construction needs and client acceptance.
- Drive an excellence culture in your team including supporting the Design Manager to recruit and address competency gaps.
- Form collaborative relationships with the Contracts Manager and Quantity Surveyor, and balance the competing tensions of time, cost and quality, to successfully deliver outcomes to Welsh Water.
- Continually develop and challenge project delivery to improve our performance and provide positive challenges to your team to innovate and arrive at value driven designs.
- Provide direction and oversight of project control processes, with an emphasis on planning and monitoring performance, to achieve time and cost requirements, minimise risk, and ensure the output complies with the required standards and quality requirements.
- Embed a cultural approach to the management of safety, wellbeing, environment and sustainability within your team.
The successful Design Lead will be required to:
- Positively engage with Welsh Water to further develop relationships and influence, enhance our reputation and point of difference, as well as seeking new opportunities.
- Contribute to achieving high internal and client KPI scores.
- Qualified design engineer (preferably Chartered or working towards Chartership)
- Water or wastewater non-infrastructure and infrastructure design experience
- Experience of successfully developing and managing design quality control processes
- Excellent leadership skills, with a proven ability to manage people and their outputs
- Commercial awareness and demonstrable experience of the successful application of design project controls, with a proven record in delivering design projects to program, budget and quality requirements
- An understanding of procurement and construction.
- Proactive approach and growth mindset, with an ability to adapt to changing scenarios
- Able to manage competing tensions for the benefit of developing better outcomes
As a qualified and experienced professional engineer, we will support your further development in both technical and managerial areas in order to meet your career aspirations and goals.
Our Client are an adopter of agile working and the role location is flexible. The role will require the Design Lead to attend some meetings and site visits in the Welsh Water region with the office currently located in Newport.
What our client can offer
You will be offered a competitive salary which is commensurate based on your experience. Our core benefits include:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- Life assurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual professional institution subscription costs
- Flexible benefits to suit you, including cycle to work scheme and interest free season ticket loans