Data Visualization Designer (Remote) #4409
GovCIO is a team of transformers–people who are passionate about transforming government I.T. We believe in making a difference by developing digital strategies and delivering the technology-related innovation that improves governmental operations each day.
But we can’t do it alone. We welcome and nurture an inclusive and diversified work culture. Because different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives make us better decision-makers, problem solvers, and creators. We’re changing the face of I.T. – from our diverse staff to the end-products we develop. And we’re excited to expand our team. Are you ready to be a transformer?
As a Data Visualization Designer, you will use your design skills to make data more accessible and actionable, creating compelling visual representations of complex data sets and helping clients and stakeholders better understand and make decisions based on the data. Combining your strong background in design and experience working with data visualization tools and techniques, you will create visualizations from scratch and modify existing visualizations to improve their appearance and effectiveness. In this role you work closely with data scientists, analysts, SREs, and technical communications professionals to improve OIT’s response posture to system events impacting end users and Veterans, working towards significant reduction in application downtime and user impact.
Areas of support include:
- The Data Visualization Designer will join GovCIO to support Operations Triage Group (OTG) at the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Coordinating with technical and non-technical stakeholders to gather requirements and understand business processes that inform/impact the creation of visualizations, including Power BI dashboards and PowerPoint slides
- Creating intuitive, attractive, and effective data visualizations using small and large datasets for stakeholders with varying technical capabilities
- Collaborate on internal and cross-functional projects requiring a visualization component
- Accessing, joining, transforming, and validating data from multiple sources to ensure accuracy of visualizations using manual and automated techniques
- Developing and maintaining data and visualization documentation, tools, and templates
- Establishing data visualization standards and exploring new, cutting-edge tools to periodically raise those standards
- Supporting efforts to improve data architecture to visualize large, complex, and live datasets across multiple platforms
- Collaborate across team to create more effective visualizations
- The ideal candidate will be proactive, anticipating client needs before they arise, developing and adhering to workplans for deliverables and work products, communicating and collaborating regularly with team members and clients, have a high attention to detail and quality, and superb written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred in Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Resource Management, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research or related fields.
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- 8 to 10 years of relevant experience may be substituted for education (13-15 years total)
Required Skills and Experience
- Expertise in data visualization tools and software, such as Power BI, Tableau, D3.js, and R
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret and analyze large datasets
- Experience working with large and complex datasets, and the ability to manipulate and extract insights from them
- Familiarity with databases and SQL, with the ability to query and extract data as needed
- Experience with data cleaning and preprocessing techniques, such as filtering, aggregation, and missing value imputation
- Strong visual design skills, with the ability to create visually appealing and effective data visualizations
- Knowledge of design principles and best practices, including color theory, typography, and composition
- Creativity and an eye for detail, with the ability to think outside the box and create unique and engaging data visualizations
- Experience working with clients or stakeholders to understand their needs and develop data visualizations that meet their requirements
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex information to a variety of audiences, including contract leadership, client and business stakeholders, and team members
- Experience working with teams to accept and provide guidance and feedback
COVID Policy: New employees will be required to adhere to the Company’s and its clients’ COVID-19 safety procedures. In the event that the COVID-19 vaccination mandate for Federal Contractors is enforced, you must become fully vaccinated or request and be approved for an exemption. Employees working onsite at a client location must comply with our client’s COVID-19 requirements.
GovCIO is a team of professionals who want to make a difference. And that can only happen with a diverse, happy, and cared-for team. So, we prioritize your well-being, equity for all and look for ways to make work a better place for each of us every day.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability status. EOE AA M/ F/Vet/Disabled
Compensation Range (In compliance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act for remote or positions located in CO)
$110,000 – $120,000
Dedicated Aircraft Optimization Manager – Remote
Development Research Analyst – Remote
Digital Banking Mobile Developer (remote or hybrid) – Miami, FL
Digital Marketing Analytics Manager – Remote
Digital Marketing Specialist – Work From Home – Island County, WA