Full-time, £60,000 OTE
Builtin have named us one of the best places to work in Chicago.
Our staff are committed to continuously improving. They’re not afraid of hard work. And they have passion coursing through their veins.
If this sounds like you, keep reading.
The data tech stack in PHMG is beginning a new journey in modernising our offerings and the way we work, giving us lots of opportunity to use data to better serve our customers and colleagues. We are growing our team to enable us to unlock more value from the technology we have invested in.
We are therefore looking for a Data Engineer to help with the growth of the Data Engineering function; mentor the team to build effective engineering practices and drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement.
This is a very exciting opportunity for someone who wants to take the next step in their data journey, help in developing the data engineering community of practice, define data standards across the organisation and be part of the team driving the first phase of PHMG’s Data Strategy
What you will do
- Influence and contribute towards the next phase of our data strategy.
- Playing a key role in PHMG’s journey into the cloud with AWS.
- Champion data engineering across the business and throughout the wider community.
- Help in working with the Data Engineering team to design, build and run enterprise data solutions.
- Drive design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices, making decisions that move the architecture forward.
- Empower the team to inspire and drive standard methodologies across different data technologies, finding new ways to solve emerging problems.
- Working alongside the Team Lead to be the go-to expert for data solutions, collaborating with the Data Product Owner in overseeing the data engineering delivery effort across the business.
- Create a learning culture by coaching and mentoring your engineers to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices, stabilising and optimising the data platform.
- Help build the first Data Engineering community of practice, be an advocate for standard methodologies and strong CI /CD principles and govern engineering standards and policies across the business.
- Advocate working in the open by demonstrating your work; participating in team ceremonies and use creative ways to bring to life the value of the Data Engineering team to the business in a way that everyone can understand.
- Work closely with other technical teams across the department to drive a data driven culture, ensuring data is at the forefront of decision making across product teams and the business.
- Working with others to establish a self-service data culture, working closely with other cross functional teams to share knowledge, evaluate opportunities and recommend improvements across architecture, pipelines, data models and processes
This is an exciting role for an experienced Data Engineer who has;
- Proficiency with using AWS or other cloud platform technologies
- Demonstrable experience in data engineering roles
- A thorough understanding of modern ETL/ELT practises, frameworks, tooling, and execution environments
- A track record delivering enterprise scale data solutions, infrastructure and architecture.
- Experience of developing using common development practices – DevOps, CI, CD, TDD.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Managing multiple priorities in a fast paced environment alongside evolving the data tech stack and practices.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and how they can be used to solve modern business problems.
- The ideal candidate will have experience of working in a fast-paced environment using agile methodologies with operational targets crossing multiple departments
Why PHMG Tech?
The IT engineering function within PHMG has been going through a digital transformation, changing how we deliver value to our business. A big part of this change is fostering a culture of being open and honest, collaborating, having fun and enabling psychological safety.
We want to create a place for teams to do their best work, and you will have the opportunity to influence our decisions, help define standards across the teams and contribute to a healthy and happy working environment.
The team and tech stack are going through an evolution and see the tech stack evolving significantly over the next year. We now see the Data Engineering function as an opportunity to create a forward thinking IT department, collaborating with our stakeholders, and thus allowing the data engineers to focus on working closely with the multi-disciplinary teams and bringing in new data sources.
The objective of the BI team is to empower the business by using data and insights. The BI team is an enabling team and as such it is important to note that we are an important function for both the tech teams and the business.